Wednesday 24 October 2012

Crossing borders - Cycle trip to Horodiste visiting Orhei Vechi and Transnistria



This weekend I took my bike for a trip to Orhei Vechi. I first went to Cricova, one of the biggest wine cellars in Moldova and in the world. I decided to postpone a tour and kept on cycling to Orhei Vechi. From Chisinau until Orhei Vechi it takes only around 50 kms. As this was the first time I went to Orhei Vechi I took the main roads, but next time I will definately check out the good looking side roads.  
Welcom in Cricova
Bienvenue à Cricova
Winefields near Cricova
Vignobles près de Cricova

Just before I arrived in Orhei Vechi a car stopped and asked me where I was coming from and what I was doing. ‘They’ turned out to be the owner of an ecopension in Butuceni and a tourism consultant of the Dutch and German government. They invited me to come and see the agropension. Besides a very comfortable night, it was also very interesting to hear the experiences and ideas of the consultant and the owner of the ecopension.

A mill near the road to Orhei Vechi
Un moulin proche de la route menant à Orhei Vechi

Autumn
Automne

The temporarily closed museum in Ivancea
Le musée (temporairement fermé) d’Ivancea

Orhei Vechi

Orhei Vechi

Orhei Vechi

A comfortable bed with a Moldovan carpet on the wall
Un lit confortable avec tapis moldave accroché au mur

The view from the agropension
Vue depuis l’agro-pension

The stove in the wall
Poêle dans le mur
Saturday I cycled further to Horodiste. I was planning to go to Molovata, next to the Nistru river, but as I started late I chose another road. Most roads where good sand roads and with the sun in my face and the autumn colours surrounding me I cycled happily to Horodiste:)

Rural landscape along the river Raut
Paysage rural le long de la rivière Raut

Good sand roads
Bonnes routes de sable
More good sand roads
Encore une bonne route de sable

The grass is alwasy greener...
L’herbe est toujours plus verte…

Sunset close to Horodiste
Coucher de soleil près d’Horodiste
 
In Horodiste I was as usual welcomed by Ana and with a good filled stomach I slept very well.
On Sunday I gave the bike a rest. Together with Ana and Bobik (the dog) I walked to a natural source, close to the village

The dog of Vent d'Est (Cacahuete or Roger) who is supposed to guard the ecopension escaped.
Coucher de soleil près d’Horodiste
 
Walking to the water spring
Vers la chute d’eau
Monday I started early to go back to Chisinau. I wanted to go back by passing the Nistru river as it is supposed to be very beautiful. Passing the Nistru river also means passing the border between Moldova and Transnistria. Officially Transnistria is part of Moldova, but they have their own government and they also have border controls. There are many stories about crossing the border to Transnistria, so I didn’t know what to expect. Although I heard that Molovata noua is still part of Moldova there was a military post there. They didn't ask me anything so I cycled further in the direction of Dubasari. I wanted to cross the river back to Moldova at the next bridge, but that was not possible. The soldiers told me that here only Moldovan people can cross and that I should take the next bridge in Dubasari. They couldn't explain why. At the post in Dubasari they asked me for the registration form which I didn't have, but after I explained I came from Molovata they registered me and I could continue my trip. So despite the warnings in the guidebook, I was lucky to meet friendly soldiers. Or do you need to be very unlucky to meet a bad one?
 
The morning started with fog which created a mystic feeling…

Morning fog
Brouillard matinal

A lot of bouncing on this road
Beaucoup de bosses sur cette route

Herd of goats
Troupeau de chèvres


A boat in the clouds???
Un bateau dans les nuages???

was when I realized I cycled near the river
Puis j’ai realize que je roulais près de la rivière

Along the river
Le long de la rivière

Close to Viscauti
près de Viscauti

Close to Molovata
Près de Molovata


The boat to Molovata noua
Le bateau menant à Molovata noua

Ce week-end, j'ai pris mon vélo pour aller à Orhei Vechi. Je suis allée à Cricova, l'une des plus grandes caves à vin de Moldavie et du monde. J'ai décidé de reporter à une autre fois la visite guidée des lieux et ai continué à rouler jusqu’à Orhei Vechi. De Chisinau à Orhei Vechi, il n’y a qu’une cinquantaine de kilomètres. Comme c’était la première fois que j’allais à Orhei Vechi, j’ai suivi les routes principales mais la prochaine fois, je me renseignerai et prendrai des routes secondaires en bon état. 

Juste avant d’atteindre Orhei Vechi, une voiture s'est arrêtée et m'a demandé d'où je venais et ce que je faisais. Le conducteur s’est avéré être le propriétaire d'une éco-pension située à Butuceni (village à côté d’Orhei Vechi) et un consultant en tourisme des gouvernements néerlandais et allemand. Il m'a invité à venir visiter son établissement. En plus d'une nuit très confortable, c’était également très intéressant d'entendre les expériences et les idées du propriétaire de l’éco-pension.

Samedi, j'ai dépassé Horodiste. J'avais l'intention d'aller à Molovata, à côté de la rivière Nistru, mais étant partie tard, j'ai choisi une autre route. La plupart des routes étaient de bonnes routes de sable et le soleil dans les yeux et les couleurs de l’automne tout autour de moi, j’ai roulé gaiement vers Horodiste :)


A Horodiste, jai comme d'habitude été très bien accueillie par Ana et le ventre bien rempli, j'ai très bien dormi.

Le dimanche, j’ai donné un peu de repos à mon vélo. Avec Ana et Bobik (le chien d’Ana), nous avons marché jusqu’à une source naturelle.

Lundi, je suis partie tôt pour rentrer à Chisinau. Je voulais revenir en arrière en passant par la rivière Nistru car c’est censé être très beau. Traverser la rivière Nistru, c'est aussi passer la frontière entre la Moldavie et la Transnistrie. Officiellement, la Transnistrie fait partie de la Moldavie mais elle a son propre gouvernement et des postes de contrôle aux frontières. Il y a beaucoup d'histoires sur le franchissement de la frontière en Transnistrie et je ne savais pas à quoi m'attendre. Même si j'ai entendu dire que Molovata noua fait toujours partie de la Moldavie, il y avait un poste militaire. On ne m’a posé aucune question et j’ai donc continué à rouler en direction de Dubasari. Je voulais traverser la rivière vers la Moldavie au prochain pont mais ce n'était pas possible. Les soldats m'ont dit que seuls les Moldaves peuvent traverser ce pont-là et que je devais atteindre le prochain pont à Dubasari. Ils n’ont pas pu m’expliquer pourquoi. Au poste de Dubasari, on m’a demandé un formulaire que je n'avais pas, mais après leur avoir expliqué que je venais de Molovata, j’ai pu poursuivre mon voyage. Ainsi, malgré les avertissements contenus dans le guide, j'ai eu la chance de rencontrer des soldats amicaux. Ou peut-être faut-il est très malchanceux pour tomber sur un soldat malintentionné ?





2 comments:

  1. Great stuff Inge, I've been to Horodiste & Transnistria last June over a crazy weekend where I met the Vent d'Est folks. I hope to come back next summer to discover more but I'm bit worried about gettting oriented there. How do you find your way in this country, as I saw few roadsigns: reliable maps? GPS? friendly advices? talk to sheep? follow the stars? Cheers, Jean-Luc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jean Luc, the orientation is not always that easy (see my cycle story in codru:): good maps of the sand roads are not existant, roadsigns are worse, I guess GPS will not work everywhere, friendly advices yes but not always reliable (or I didn't understand them well...and then you end up talking to the sheep, or in this case goats;)
      No, fortunately this time the river was a fairly easy orientation point, but I'll try to get some maps of the sandroads and the map I have also helps.
      Hope to see you next summer in Horodiste. La revedere!

      Delete